The Grau-du-Roi is located south of Aigues-Mortes, in the Gard. It is located in the canton of Aigues-Mortes, which was originally in the department of Herat, but was replaced by the township of Ganges. It is separated from Aigues-Mortes by a series of salt marshes, called ponds in French, and a folding in the Vidourle River. The ponds are designated as follows: the Ponant Pond, the Medard Pond, the Repausset Levant Pond and the Lake of Salonika, which is more of a lake than a marsh, as the name suggests. To the west of the city, the coastal strip is broken, where the Vidourle flows into the Mediterranean, and to the east is the Little Rhone. The course of these two rivers has been subject to change and reversal. In the past, the Rhône flowed further west in the Etangs and in a place where the Vidourle flowed into the sea and not into the sea The route passed through the Grey Louis and the Old Canal in the 12th century. In 1570, a new rupture occurred at a point called Win-Petit. It was around this greyness that the colony was formed. The area between the Ponds and the sea was populated by Italian immigrants at the end of the 19th century. From then until the 1920s, the economy was based exclusively on fishing, but tourism later became important and culminated with the construction of Port-Camargue. The town of Aigues-Mortes gained prominence during the Crusades when it was a royal port.  King Louis IX of France had no other port available on the Mediterranean.
Ships perched on the city walls and crossed a circular canal (the Old Canal) through the “Tang de Repausset” to the sea near Grau Louis (La Grande Motte).  In 1570, a storm invaded the Etang from the Rhone, piercing the coastal strip and forming a new grey. A six-kilometre-long canal was built from the city to the sea. In 1640, this King`s Grey was called, and although its name changed several times thereafter, it finally returned to its present name. In 1772, two breakwaters were built of stone. After many later works it became a canal in 1845.  The Grau-du-Roi comes from the word “grey Occitan” (gradus in Latin) which refers to the opening of a pond (flat salt lake) or the stream of a pond to the sea. It roughly corresponds to the use of the English term bayou.
King is the French word for king. Aigues-Mortes literally means “dead water,” acute of Latin aqua. It was a wet evening and we tried to find a restaurant that catered to the needs of the whole family. The atmosphere was perfect with a great list of games and cisy interiors. The food was perfect for the 4 family members. The restaurant… seemed a little different from the others opened in this tourist town. It`s recommended. Read more Located just 10 minutes from the Mediterranean coast, this is a magnificent renovated castle of the highest quality amidst the magnificent vineyards of Languedoc.